Subject: "getty repeating too quickly"
To: NetBSD Mac <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Amitai Schlair <amitai.schlair@usa.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/23/1998 19:35:52
I'm running NetBSD 1.3 over a serial console. Everything usually works
great. Every now and then, though, I no longer get login prompts, either
on the serial console or on telnet connections (which get made, but
don't result in a prompt). Existing telnet connections continue working,
and network access is otherwise fine. I end up having to do a hard and
ugly reboot to get things back to normal.

Looking through /var/log/authlog*, I find the following error message,
in rapid succession and high volume:

"Feb 23 17:01:08 b60735 init: getty repeating too quickly on port
/dev/tty01, sleeping"

This would seem to be my problem. However, I can't pin down what might
be causing it. (This happens sometimes even when the serial console
machine has been on the whole time, unlike the problems I mention in
another thread.) Any ideas?

While I'm at it, what are the proper flow control settings for a
Mac-to-NetBSD/mac68k serial connection?

--
I'm thirty years old, but I read at the thirty-four-year-old level.
     -- Dana Carvey