Subject: Re: 68LC040?!
To: Lars Hagstrom <m95lah@student.tdb.uu.se>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/23/1998 09:44:37
Lars Hagstrom wrote:

> >> should i still install "libm-nomc68881.tar.gz" ?
> >
> >Yes, I would if I were you.  It should stop you from getting some errors
> >due to some floating point math functions.  You might also consider
> >compiling a more recent version of the library.  I think a patch for doing
> >so is available in the FAQ.
>
> I've tested my machine (lc630) with softwareFPU and speedometers fpu benchmark, and it seems to work, so I concluded that my LC040 is alright.
> I have now tried to install NetBSD, and been through a lot of setting up. But i still suffer from a lot of core dumps due to segfaults. I've tried switching to the sbc kernel, just in case, but to no avail.
> I installed the libm....., which reduced the number of faults. So, I thought, I'll try to compile my own, but thats easier said than done on a machine that segfaults as often as mine does.
> Are the errors I experience due to the FPE or is it something else, can I expect them to get solved if i manage to compile the libm?

The errors you are seeing now that you have installed the old libm are due
to broken FPE.  What you are seeing now is probably "as good as it gets"
unfortunately.  Many people have decided that the machine is usable, even
with all of the segfaults.  Perhaps someone will find that final bug in
the FPE?

Later.