Subject: Re: Color X
To: Justin R. Smith <jsmith@mcs.drexel.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/23/1998 09:32:15
Justin R. Smith wrote:
> >Rahman Amanullah wrote:
> >> Hello!
> >>
> >> Let me get this straight. Is it or isn't it possible to run color X with
> >> internal video in 8bit mode? If it is, how do I do it?
> >
> >No, it is not.  If you'll read the README that Ken mentioned, 8-bit mode
> >will only allow you to use StaticGray (i.e. grayscale), not color, if you
> >are using internal video.
> >
> >> This might a stupid question, but I am really lost in the jungle of
> >> NuBus-cards, 16-bit/1-bit and SLOTMAN-kernels.
> >

> It sure LOOKS like color -- albeit the WRONG color. It's better on my eyes
> than pure gray. Does this mean, that when you OFFICIALLY support 8bit
> color, it will show up as the right colors?

Yes.  I'm using 8-bit color on NuBus video right at the moment and it
works just fine :-)  Well, the Mac gamma on this particular board (a Mac
Hi-Res video card, I think) is a bit light, so everything is a bit faded,
but they are more or less correct.  My Toby video card is a lot more
vivid.

> (So it's the color MAPPING
> facility that doesn't quite work?)

Yes.  If you don't have ROM-based video card support, the X server has no
way to change which 256 colors are used or the order they are in, so
you're stuck with whatever you had at boot time.  Using 16-bit color, this
isn't a problem (you're not using a CLUT, just specifying intensity/hue
directly).

Does that make sense?

Later.