Subject: Re: Swap, shells and Serial Consoles
To: None <xperm@geocities.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/21/1998 12:21:02
Alberto wrote:

> Yesterday, I downloaded netbsd 1.3 and I've found the some problems. But first
> of all let me tell you which is the status of my machine:
>
> I have a Classic II with 10 Mbs of Ram and two Hard Disks inside it with these
> partitions:
>
> -An 80Mb HD (SCSI 0) with 55 Mbs for Mac OS and the rest (25Mb) for a Swap
> Partition.
> -An 525 Quantun HD (SCSI 1) with just a super partition Root & Usr: no macos, no
> swap: just Unix.
>
> My aim was to Install NetBSD on the 525Mb Quantum, booting from the 80Mb
> one(well from the MacOs partition in it) and profiting the extra space in it(in
> the 80Mb one) for a small swap partition, so that the 525 Mb one would be
> entirely devoted to Unix from the first sector to the last.

Sounds good so far.

> Am I doing Well? At startup netbsd says that there is no swap space: what am I
> doing wrong?

NetBSD looks in your /etc/fstab to find the swap partition.  Since the
Installer didn't find a swap partition on the same disk as your root
partition, it either didn't make an entry for swap, or else it made an
incorrect entry.  If you manage to boot into single user, you can edit
/etc/fstab from there.  If not, you can use the Installer's mini-shell to
copy out /etc/fstab, edit it in a MacOS editor like BBEdit, and then copy
it back in.  You basically need to make sure that you have a line like:

/dev/sd0b       none    swap    sw 0 0

somewhere in that file.

> Other thing that annoys me: No matter I boot single user or not , netbsd says at
> startup: "give me path for a shell or return for sh". Well, I press return ant
> netbsd says: "init: user session terminated" and again it shows the message
> "give me a shell...". If I try to give it the path of sh (/bin/sh) it runs sh,
> but when I write the first command (say, ls or reboot) the same message appeas
> again: "user session terminated... give a path for a shell..."
>
> What the Hell Happens?

You got me.  That's definitely a little strange (although it sounds
vaguely like something I was hearing last week).  The first thing I'd try
is to use /bin/csh instead.  If that doesn't work, it sounds like
something may be a little corrupted (although I have no idea what that
might be), and you may need to reinstall the base.tgz distribution set.

> One More Thing: How can I use a serial console with Microphone Lite and a
> Xwindows emulator (say MacX) with other Mac? Tell me all the steps, please.
>
> Thank you very much. Please, reply to my mail : xperm@geocities.com

I have some notes on using a serial console available on Puma:

ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/docs/notes/

I think.  Hopefully, they will be of some use.

Good luck!

Later.