Subject: Filesystem error on IIsi
To: PortMac <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Balazs Barany <bb@lb-data.co.at>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/20/1998 09:42:47
Hello,

there is an annoying problem with NetBSD 1.3 on my Mac IIsi with a =
Quantum
hard disk, 17 MB of RAM, Asant=E9 ethernet card. I have no external SCSI =
devices.

The problem can be easily reproduced using the Samba suite's smbd and =
nmbd.
(Samba allows Windows clients to use a UNIX machine's disk space and/or =
printers.)
After copying many files with FTP it happens, too, but not so quickly.

One hour before I had a clean file system. Then I copied some MBs from =
my=20
Windows95 PC to the mac's drive and deleted a large directory with many =
files.=20
It couldn't be entirely deleted because of a "access denied" error so=20
I fsck'd immediately.

The following error messages were displayed (up to 40 times, of course)

Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes:
- incorrent block count
- unknown file type
- partially allocated inode
Phase 2 - Check Pathnames:
- UNALLOCATED I=3D125447 OWNER=3Droot MODE=3D0
Phase 3 - Check Connectivity:
- UNREF DIR I=3D19811 OWNER=3Dbalazs MODE=3D40755
Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts:
- LINK COUNT DIR I=3D83335 OWNER=3Droot MODE=3D40755
- LINK COUNT FILE I=3D125445 OWNER=3D768 MODE=3D22000
- BAD/DUP FILE I=3D125456 OWNER=3D256256 MODE=3D100600
Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups:
- FREE BLK COUNT(S) WRONG IN SUPERBLK
- BLK(S) MISSING IN BIT MAPS
- SUMMARY INFORMATION BAD

One fsck wasn't enough, I needed it two times. Also, quite often fsck
complains about bad disk sectors (different ones each time) and even
if I don't correct them they don't come again.=20

My /etc/fstab reads:
/dev/sd0a	/	ffs	rw	1	1
/dev/sd0b	none	swap	sw	0	0
kern		/kern	kernfs	rw	0	0
proc		/proc	procfs	rw	0	0

There is only one partition and the file system type is ffs, as =
described in the=20
"upgrading to 1.3 how-to".
Of course, I tried the SBC kernel but on my machine it boots right into=20
the debugger.

As far as I know should a program that uses the kernel's documented file =
accessing
functions (as samba surely does) not be able to trash the file system, =
so this seems
to be a kernel and/or hardware problem.

What should I do? Would a terminator on the SCSI port help?
If this problem can't be solved I will have to take a PC with Linux that =
really works.
Bal=E1zs B=E1r=E1ny    bb@lb-data.co.at    http://www.lb-data.co.at/bb

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice