Subject: Re: NetBSD vs. OpenBSD
To: Josh Hope <otaku@unixgeek.ml.org>
From: David Leonard <leonard@dstc.qut.edu.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/20/1998 10:16:30
On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Josh Hope wrote:
> > CTAPYXA wrote:
> > > I learned lately that OpenBSD also has a 68k implementation. Can anyone
> > > point out any differences that exist? Are they binary-compatible?
>
> I looked into OpenBSD a while ago. I found that there is no OpenBSD/mac68k
> mailing list, and the Mac support is minimal at best. Also, I found that
> they had a very limited selection of kernels. It'd probably be best if you
> could compile a kernel first. The SBC kernel didn't work with my machine,
> so I never really got it booted...

how to subscribe.

obsd and nbsd seem pretty binary compatible to me, at least for user-land stuff.
So, don't expect to be able to boot an openbsd kernel over a netbsd install.

Anyway, this is Unix, man! Who wants to distribute a zillion different
binaries!? its a roll-your-own world.. use the source luke, etc etc

David Leonard                           David.Leonard@dstc.edu.au
Distributed Systems Technology Centre   Room:S-1223 Ph:+61 7 3864 4471
Queensland University of Technology     http://www.dstc.edu.au/~leonard/
Q 4001  Australia                       E2A24DC6446E5779D7AFC41AA04E6401
'Bother', said Pooh, as he hit the barrier arm