Subject: serial console issues
To: NetBSD Mac <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Amitai Schlair <amitai.schlair@usa.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/19/1998 21:48:29
I've been running a IIci headless with NetBSD 1.3 for over a month now,
very happily! It's running over a serial console, so in order to get
things working more smoothly, I compiled a custom kernel with
ZS_CONSOLE_ABORT undefined, among other things. However, if I shut down
the Mac running the terminal emulator, the NetBSD box gets awfully
confused. (By which I mean, it doesn't respond to network requests, and
the serial terminal window is pretty much dead -- I have to press the
interrupt switch and type 'reboot'.)

I think this is related to the fact that I'm running a getty on that
serial port, and it gets lost when the connected serial port powers
down. Do I even need to be running that getty, if I've set the serial
console option in the Booter?

Once I get this last thing straightened out, I'm more than happy to put
together a little HOWTO on setting up a serial console. It's much
simpler than the notes on macbsd.com would suggest, with the changes in
the 1.3 gettytab format and recent Booters...

- Amitai

--
Nobody wants justice.
     -- Alan Dershowitz