Subject: Re: Question about IP-NAT
To: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/19/1998 10:15:16
David A. Gatwood wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Colin Wood wrote:
>
> > > My setup is basically a PowerMac 7100 connecting through a IIsi which is
> > > running IP-NAT.  It works w/o a hitch (after a few hours of scratching my
> > > head only to discover IP filtering was off) as long as the 7100 is running
> > > MkLinux.  I can't seem to get MacOS to work that way, though.  As long as
> > > IP-NAT is off, I can at least connect from deepspace (7100) to
> > > stavromula-beta (IIsi).  As soon as I turn that on, I lose even that.
> >
> > What does your ipnat.conf file look like?  How about your OT/MacTCP
> > settings?  I have 2 Mac's running MacOS that connect to the 'Net via my
> > Q700 running NetBSD and IP-NAT.  It works just fine for me.
>
> The IP-NAT settings are taken directly from the example file for setting
> up IP-NAT on a system with a dynamically assigned IP number, with the
> interface name being ppp1 (the serial cable across to the PowerMac).
> Since it works fine as long as the Mac's in MkLinux, I doubt that's the
> problem.

Which example file?

> The MacOS setup behaved identically via both OT-PPP and FreePPP... my
> first problem was the initial connect... I had to change the pppd line
> slightly to add a remote IP number for the PowerMac, since I couldn't find
> a way to set that w/in PPP (sure, I think there's a way to set it in OT
> itself, but easier to add ten characters to a line on the NetBSD box).
> When that didn't work, I tried FreePPP and set its IP number (it has a box
> for it).  No change.  The weird thing is that for both router and netmask
> it says that no information is available (approximately).  I'm guessing
> that I need to convince the NetBSD box to send extra information to tell
> the MacOS system to use it as a gateway or something, but I'm not sure.
> What's weird is that packets from the PowerMac appear to go out over the
> second serial link, but nothing is returned, almost as if the ip-nat isn't
> doing anything... which makes no sense.

Do you have "options 	GATEWAY" in your kernel config?  (I think that
GENERIC does, but I'm not sure).  Generally, I hardwire my gateway address
and netmask in the OT configuration dialog since I know that they are not
going to change.  Is pppd capable of sending routing and netmask info in
and of itself?

Later.