Subject: Re: NetBSD vs. OpenBSD
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Josh Hope <otaku@unixgeek.ml.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/18/1998 23:39:26
On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Colin Wood wrote:

> CTAPYXA wrote:
> > I learned lately that OpenBSD also has a 68k implementation. Can anyone
> > point out any differences that exist? Are they binary-compatible?
>
> You might get a better idea of the differences by looking at the OpenBSD
> website (www.openbsd.org), or subscribing to the OpenBSD/mac68k mailing
> list (sorry, I don't have the address) and asking more about it there.
> From a machine-dependent point of view, I believe that OpenBSD/mac68k and
> NetBSD/mac68k support the same machines and to the same degree.  To the
> best of my knowledge, the differences come in the machine-independent
> portion of the kernel and in userland (e.g. I believe that OpenBSD
> distributes crypto code with userland which would be export-restricted
> here in the US).

I looked into OpenBSD a while ago. I found that there is no OpenBSD/mac68k
mailing list, and the Mac support is minimal at best. Also, I found that
they had a very limited selection of kernels. It'd probably be best if you
could compile a kernel first. The SBC kernel didn't work with my machine,
so I never really got it booted...

> As for binary compatibility, my guess would be _no_, actually.  I think
> that there are probably enough differences between some system libraries
> that OpenBSD binaries might have trouble under NetBSD and vice versa.  I
> could easily be wrong about this, tho, and someone please correct me if I
> am.

As for binary compatiability: Yep, it'll work. Of course, some of the more
in-depth programs probably will core and not work, but programs such as
pine, pico, lynx, etc. should work okay. The port maintainer did suggest
to me, though, to recompile those programs as they may work "better" that
way. Don't ask me why... :)

Oh, and with the differences, OpenBSD includes lots more binaries. Their
bin.tgz file is huge! Mostly because it includes perl...

> I hope this helps some.
>
> Later.
>
> --
> Colin Wood                                 cwood@ichips.intel.com
> Component Design Engineer - MD6                 Intel Corporation
> I speak only on my own behalf, not for my employer.

Josh Hope                                          root@unixgeek.ml.org
UNIX System Administrator                        http://unixgeek.ml.org
'In bliss you abide and happiness,      |         Pearl, Author Unknown
And I with woe am worn and grey;        | Translation by J.R.R. Tolkien
Oft searing sorrows I possess,          |          Stanza 33, lines 1-4
Yet little heed to that you pay.'       |