Subject: Re: X display tectonics
To: T. Sean <tschulze@compuserve.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/18/1998 13:37:20
T. Sean wrote:
> On 2/17/98 20:24, Colin Wood at cwood@ichips.intel.com wrote:
>

> >T. Sean wrote:
> >[Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
>
> Colin, what does this mean?  I know what is meant by character sets, I am
> just suprised that this message would show up as a seeming reaction to
> the settings on my system.

This means that your email was sent in MIME format using the standard
Latin-1 (ISO-8859-1) encoding/character set.  Since either my xterm or
perhaps elm (or maybe metamail) can't handle the full Latin-1 charset, it
converted the message to standard ASCII (which I think is a subset of the
full ISO-8859-1 set).  It's nothing in particular that you have done.
This latest version of elm just does some screwy stuff.

> >It's conceivable that our version of xterm doesn't do the proper suid
> >calls (or maybe it's not installed suid).  I know that the 1.3 version of
> >xconsole _does_ work when installed properly (I tried it the other night).
> >

> Yep.  I started an xconsole window early in the X startup and now I don't
> have the problem.  I am thinking I should start it first to show any
> error messages the other windows and apps I am starting generate.

Good, I'm glad that worked.

> >> Note also that I am running GENERICSBC#56, so if this option needs to be
> >> compiled into the kernel, it would appear it was not compiled into
> >> GENERICSBC#56.
> >
> >The option is definitely there.  It has been in the GENERIC config files
> >since 1.2C, I think.
> >

> I'll take a closer look at the man page.  But, the way I have it set up
> in my .xinitrc and the way I was entering it on the command line didn't
> seem to work.  (It could very well be my fault.)

As it turns out, I did an install of the 1.3 X distribution last night,
and it appears that "xterm -C" still doesn't work if I'm not root (I
didn't try it as root, but I assume that it would work if I did).  Rather
annoying.

> [snip]

> >> The FAQ I was looking at was the NetBSD/mac68k FAQ with Answers v1.2.1,
> >> 21 April, 1997.  I apologize if this is covered in a newer version of the
> >> FAQ.  I'll pull down a newer one tonight and go over it.  (Good to be
> >> current anyway!)
> >
> >Ah, there have been at least 2 versions since then.  The latest version
> >(v1.3.1?) covers through the 1.3 release (no -current yet; I'm not running
> >it myself, so I don't have much experience with it at this time).  I don't
> >know if the latest version covers this particular phenomenon.  I'll put it
> >on the todo list, tho.
> >

> Got the latest FAQ.  Yep, it's in there.  Paragraph 9.18.  Sorry.  I'll
> try to keep up from now on :-)

That's quite all right.  Have fun!

Later.