Subject: Re: Logitech - working or not???
To: CTAPYXA <ctapyxa@ucsd.edu>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@netscape.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/18/1998 13:14:41
CTAPYXA wrote:

> There are several mentions in the General Info document as to whether the
> Logitech pointing devices work or not. Certain models (?) are reported as
> working, others as non-working. I have a trackball, which I like a lot, but
> whenever I try to boot MacBSD with it connected, the computer hangs. What
> can I try to do in order to make the trackball usable?

I think Ken basically covered everything, but let me clarify the
issue with Logitech devices.

The reason that some were listed as working and some as
non-working is that some Logitech devices support the Apple EMP
(extended mouse protocol) and some don't. The ones that relly are
EMP devices have been working for some time. The ones that don't
report that they actually _do_ but they are broken. The "broken"
ones are Logitech Models M-AC13-4MD (mouse) and T-AA1-4MD
(trackball).

I recently added support for these models if you are using a
HWDIRECT based kernel, which is the default for 1.3 now. Using a
1.3 kernel should give you support.

HOWEVER, if you are using a II series ADB machine (this includes
II, IIx, IIcx, SE/30, IIci, Centris 610/650, Quadra
610/650/700/800) then you will need a patched POST 1.3 version
because there was a bug on these models when using three button
mice. You can get a patched 1.3 version that has this fix here:

ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/outgoing/jpw/kernels/current/HWDIRECT.394.tar.gz

You didn't mention what machine or kernel you were using, if you
are still having trouble you should definately use a 1.3 kernel.

	--John