Subject: Re: X display tectonics
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <tschulze@compuserve.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/18/1998 15:36:00
On 2/17/98 20:24, Colin Wood at cwood@ichips.intel.com wrote:

>T. Sean wrote:
>[Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]

Colin, what does this mean?  I know what is meant by character sets, I am=
 =

just suprised that this message would show up as a seeming reaction to =

the settings on my system.

[snip]

>It's conceivable that our version of xterm doesn't do the proper suid
>calls (or maybe it's not installed suid).  I know that the 1.3 version o=
>xconsole _does_ work when installed properly (I tried it the other night=
).
> =

Yep.  I started an xconsole window early in the X startup and now I don't=
 =

have the problem.  I am thinking I should start it first to show any =

error messages the other windows and apps I am starting generate.

>> Note also that I am running GENERICSBC#56, so if this option needs to =
be =

>> compiled into the kernel, it would appear it was not compiled into =

>> GENERICSBC#56.
>
>The option is definitely there.  It has been in the GENERIC config files=

>since 1.2C, I think.

I'll take a closer look at the man page.  But, the way I have it set up =

in my .xinitrc and the way I was entering it on the command line didn't =

seem to work.  (It could very well be my fault.)

[snip]

>> >Just wondering, what FAQ was this that you were looking at?
>> >
>> =

>> The FAQ I was looking at was the NetBSD/mac68k FAQ with Answers v1.2.1=
, =

>> 21 April, 1997.  I apologize if this is covered in a newer version of =
the =

>> FAQ.  I'll pull down a newer one tonight and go over it.  (Good to be =

>> current anyway!)
>
>Ah, there have been at least 2 versions since then.  The latest version
>(v1.3.1?) covers through the 1.3 release (no -current yet; I'm not runni=
ng
>it myself, so I don't have much experience with it at this time).  I don=
't
>know if the latest version covers this particular phenomenon.  I'll put =
it
>on the todo list, tho.

Got the latest FAQ.  Yep, it's in there.  Paragraph 9.18.  Sorry.  I'll =

try to keep up from now on :-)

Thanks for your help,

Sean.

                 T. Sean (Theo) Schulze