Subject: Re: Don't log in as root
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Scott Smith <smelly@spy.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/17/1998 10:39:58
On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Colin Wood wrote:

> > How about something like...
> >
> > "Don't log in directly as root.  See http://www.macbsd.com/...... for
> > details"

How about, ``Don't log in as root, use `rm -rf /' instead.''
Or a simple, ``Don't log in as root, dumbass.''  ;P

Seriously though, I've *finally* been able to put my IIcx to good use.  I
bugged a friend of mine to hook me up with any sort of cheap video card (he
used to work at Apple), and luckily he had one sitting around (no surprise--
you'd be amazed at how much hardware he has...geeezz) so he just gave it to
me.  So I replaced my old crappy RasterOps card with it and installed OpenBSD
on it.  It booted fine and I was able to get it onto my network, wahoo!

Apparenty the old RasterOps card of mine didn't work with *any* Ethernet cards.
I tried three different cards even in MacOS and couldn't get connectivity, and
a friend of mine said he remembered something about it not working, too.

So I bought a new modem and thanks to the ppp kit on the MacBSD web site, I've
phased out my old gateway/dial-up machine in favor of the IIcx.  It'll
hopefully be permanent--I haven't had any problems yet.

Cheers, and thanks for helping make my IIcx money well-spent.  :)

Scott

--
Scott Smith
scotts@cybersource.com

"Besides, who the hell would use an MS keyboard on an SGI machine, they'd
probably take it back if they saw you doing that."   - dustin@spy.net