Subject: Re: Logitech - working or not???
To: None <ctapyxa@ucsd.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/17/1998 11:34:30
On Tue, 17 Feb 1998 03:08:50 -0800,
CTAPYXA <ctapyxa@ucsd.edu> wrote:
> There are several mentions in the General Info document as to whether the
> Logitech pointing devices work or not. Certain models (?) are reported as
> working, others as non-working. I have a trackball, which I like a lot, but
> whenever I try to boot MacBSD with it connected, the computer hangs. What
> can I try to do in order to make the trackball usable?

I'm sure John's going to know a lot more about it than I do, but I can
tell you both my Logitech TrackMan (not Marble) and MouseMan Cordless
work just fine with NetBSD/mac68k.  All 3 buttons work under X.  These
are fairly recent models (I got the cordless a week or so ago because
the TrackMan was damaged during a transit).

I think John figured out another protocol used by other Logitech
devices, and now they are supported (correct me if I'm wrong).

However, I cannot tell for sure whether or not the hang is due to your
track ball.  First of all, older kernels used to have trouble booting
on certain Macintosh models.  If you are using a pre-1.3 kernel, I'd
suggest you download 1.3 and try it.  If you still have trouble
booting, try unplugging the track ball before booting NetBSD and see
if it works.  If not, it's a problem in adb driver's interfacing the
ADB controller chip, rather than one in its talking with your track
ball.

If it's really yet another ADB protocol incompatibility problem,
either you or someone else will have to figure out the protocol and
add it to the adb driver.

Hope this helps,

Ken