Subject: Re: LaTeX2e (2nd)
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: henning loeser <loeser@ma1304.physik.uni-marburg.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/17/1998 10:46:11
Well I guess I wanted to get around the trouble of makeing a package ;-)
, I had a glimpse at the notes on packages before but ohh all that
lenghty text scared me away.
But if as you said gmake allready comes with the system (I must say I
didn't check this before I got the sources of make-3.76.1 and recompiled
it myself, being the complete ignorant I am )
then you could just download the source files for teTeX and compile the
thing right away, almost out of the box, as I remember. The thing
itself has a very descriptive INSTALL and README file that will tell you
precisely what to change (basically nothing !)
and it lets you change 'Make=make' to 'Make=gmake' in the Makefile.
So to my understanding it's allready 'easy to use and install' as
it is so why make a package of it? (As you can notice I try finding
excuses here)
The only drawback is that it consumes some diskspace at compiletime and
as long as you keep the sources (Thats why I don't have them any more)
but even that is said in the README.
The only thing it didn't say was that it wont compile with MacBSD-make.
I guess I could try to tar the whole binary teTeX tree now and maybe
upload it somewhere ??? (Diskspace !!!)
I myself prefer installing stuff from the sources that
way I can talk myself into thinking that it will run on my specific
system, plus it will end up at the location I want it to.

Henning

Henning Loeser            AG-Oberfl"achenphysik, Philipps-Uni-MR
Email:henning.loeser@physik.uni-marburg.de