Subject: Termcap confusion
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Dunn <gregdunn@indy.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/16/1998 23:39:26
Sorry to make my initial post to the list a lame question...

I've installed NetBSD 1.3#56 generic on my IIci (20MB, TFB video) and it
has so far run beautifully.  I'm waiting for a larger HD to bring up a full
install with X, GNU suite, etc.  but I couldn't resist installing bash and
starting to configure the machine for my preferred defaults.

The problem:  bash seems to like my up- and down-arrows on the Apple ext
kbd II just fine, though it occasionally fails to erase trailing garbage
when I scroll through the history buffer.  But vi refuses to recognize them
as up and down.  I'm using the default vt220 mapping, but whether I have
csh or bash as my shell, vi sees the escape sequences and doesn't recognize
them as actions.

My previous experience in Linux and HPUX told me to check some things like
TERM (set to vt220) and /etc/termcap, but BSD treats some of the config
files differently.  Am I up against a kernel configuration problem here, or
am I not looking in the right place for BSD's setup data?  No need to reply
to the list unless the problem is of general interest; I can't find any
comments relevant to this problem in the FAQ, though, so...

--
| Greg Dunn                       | I shut out acceptance so I won't |
| gregdunn@indy.net               | get hurt; and move on to the next|