Subject: Re: 1.3 fails to boot with Apple Extended Keyboard
To: Yoshihisa Sugimoto <sugimoto@sums.shiga-med.ac.jp>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/16/1998 12:37:42
Yoshihisa Sugimoto wrote:

>  Today I updated my IIcx from 1.2.1 to 1.3. In this process I experienced a
> strange error. NetBSD 1.3 (GENERIC #56 and #59) failed to boot with an Apple
> Extended Keyboard. Then I tried 1.2.1 with the Extended Keyboard, it booted
> successfully. After I exchanged the keyboard to Apple Keyboard II,  NetBSD
> 1.3 booted.

> Does anyone know how to avoid this phenomenon?

Yes, this is a known problem with 1.3.  The problem appears to be that the
MRG-based ADB support for the II-series Macs doesn't like polling ADB
devices.   This problem is discussed more in-depth in the FAQ, I believe.
The solution for now is to use a HWDIRECT-based kernel.  I believe that
you can find appropriate ones here:

ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/eskimo.copy/kernels/

I hope this helps.

Later.