Subject: Re: A few config questions
To: Jim Schmidt <jschmidt@tardis.svsu.edu>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/15/1998 14:48:01
On Sun, 15 Feb 1998, Jim Schmidt wrote:

> Hi.  I'm running NetBSD 1.3 on my LC II, and I'm having problems with X
> windows.  THe first problem is that it won't launch if I'm running in
> color; it only works if I'm running in b/w.

That's normal - on NetBSD/mac68k the system only runs in B&W.  Unless
you've grabbed a copy of the colorLKM or my SLOTMAN kernel...

> Second, It seems to launch
> properly if I do that, and I get an X cursor that moves, but that's it.
> From what little I know, I should be seeing a login prompt if X launches
> properly, right?

Nope.  If you log in first, and then run X, you won't get another login
prompt.  It'll just execute your ~/.xinitrc file and when that's over, X
will exit.

> When I try to launch other x utils (xterm, xdm, etc) I
> get a message that ends with "libXmu.so.6.0: No such file..."

Sounds to me like you didn't add /usr/X11R6/lib to your ld.so.hints file
(type man ldconfig for details).

> Also, I'm trying to get ppp to work, and there's one thing I don't
> understand.  It dials my provider and establishes a connection, but I
> can't make a tcp connection to any other server; can't even ping my dns
> server - "no route to host".

Are you trying to ping via IP address, or via name?  If you're trying by
address, make sure you have a route to the destination.  (You might want
to add "default" to your ppp options file.)  If you're trying to ping
via name, try via address first, then set up your /etc/resolv.conf file.

> I know a previous message referred to learning the hard way, and I know
> about that - took me two days to figure out I'd misconfigured the memory
> settings in the booter :)  I've managed to get pico installed on my own
> and ircII compiled, and I'm working on netscape and apache for
> -playing's sake (neither of which will be of much use if I can't get ppp
> working, though).  I've gotten a few pointers from folks, and I'm going
> to try those out; just thought I'd send something this way as well,
> especially since X is a topic of late, and dialup is always nice to have :)

| Paul Goyette      | Public Key fingerprint:    | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |