Subject: Re: Off topic IIfx question
To: Xiamin Raahauge <xiamin@scdesantis.ne.mediaone.net>
From: wb2oyc <wb2oyc@bellatlantic.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/14/1998 19:53:33
>I always thought that the IIfx used 30-pin SIMMs (I don't have one, but
>someone I know might be buying one). However, the Apple SpecDatabase says
>that it has 8 64-pin SIMM slots. Can anyone clear this up?
>TIA
>-Xiamin
Yes, that is correct!  8, 64-pin SIMM slots.  Also, you should tell your
friend that there is something rather unique about those as well, since
the IIfx also requires the SIMMs be specifically for that machine.  I
don't recall what it is that makes them unique, but what might be called
"standard" 64 pin SIMMs will not work in the IIfx.  I've tried various
SIMMs I located that worked fine in AST PCs for example, that when used
in the IIfx prevent it from booting.  Its actually worse than that if
you should try them, since they may result in fully depleting one of the
two Lithium batteries (this happened on mine), which makes it impossible
to even turn the machine on!

Be careful!
Paul