Subject: Re: Don't log in as root
To: Mark Andres" , "port-mac68k <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/14/1998 07:13:03
Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net> wrote:

>I think having this message, no matter what the message is, wll lead to
>FAQs from newbies.  If you want the message to be complete, you would
>really need to say something like:

>No matter what you say, new UN*X users will still have questions until
>they understand the basic concepts.

So given that UN*X isn't MacOS or Windoz-95 maybe the better approach
would be to totally eliminate the warning message in root.  The new UN*X
users will probably continue to use root as their main account until they
figure out why it's not a good idea.  The knowledgble user will work out
of his/er own account because they know better than to log into root
directly.

An alternative would be to supply a default user account like MINIX does
and recomend that users use it instead of root.  That way the new user
has a prototype of the account they should create for themselves and use
instead of root. This way we could leave the simple warning message as it
is in root and provide a more detailed README or whatever in the sample
user account that explains the reasoning behind the use of su with root.
The user isn't faced with reading it on every login and the knowlegable
user who uses his/er own account is never bothered with all this.

-bob