Subject: Re: Quadra AV DMA?
To: None <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@physics.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/13/1998 13:25:59
Michael R Zucca wrote on Thu, 12 Feb 1998 23:00:03 -0500 (EST):
> I'm working on a CIVIC driver but progress is somewhat slow since I'm having
> a heck of a time trying to figure out all of the CIVIC's registers. I'm

How are you doing that?  I mean, by trial & errors?  For that matter,
how did you figure out the chip's I/O address to begin with?

> However, if you want to run in 16 or 24 bit mode that's more a matter of
> modifying the X server. In 16 and 24 bit mode the palette is set to a
> trilinear color ramp so you essentially get a fixed mode. You could boot
> into 16 or 24 bit mode and use X right now if you modify the X server to
> do so.

You're absolutely right!  I forgot what it's called in the X server
terminology, but I remember it's described among gray scale, pseudo
color, and true color in one of the X server documentations.  This is,
of course, less than ideal without the ability to set color depth,
resolution and everything, but it's a start.

Thanks,

Ken