Subject: Re: CI, startx.log, errno =61
To: None <einarson@cafe.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/12/1998 22:16:09
Dale Einarson wrote:
> hello folks,
> 	Following the instructions prevoiusly on this list, I have for you my
> startx.log.  The dmesg.log shows boot event list, and all seems fine.  I
> have *fully* installed 1.3 fresh onto 300Mb of a 1Gb-fuji-2266. the
> systems last enter is
>
> Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:		I enter: 	sh
> Terminal type? 						I enter:	vt220
>
> At this point I still need to login and mount -a
>
> After login, the file just before motd says
> NetBSD ?.? (unknown)					what's that?

The problem is that you are in _single-user_ mode.  You need to boot
multi-user.  In the Booter's Booting Options dialog, uncheck the box that
says "Single User".  If you happen to boot single user, simply type "exit"
once you get to the shell prompt.

> Q:  what file is executed just before motd?

You're probably just running login, then your shell starts from there.

> Q:	-And is it a bad idea to enter the mount and login in this file

You should never have to manually use mount or login during everyday use
of NetBSD (well, ok, maybe mount, but never login).  Make sure that
/etc/fstab has the correct stuff in it.

> Sorry if this is really dumb but I am not as familiar with UNIX as I
> should,  :(

It's not dumb :-)  Some of the first steps are a bit hard, but it's pretty
rewarding once you figure it all out.

> Colin:  BTM, I am using netscape no prob's eudora is still the same?  :}

Very strange.  Good luck on this!

Later.