Subject: SLOTMAN
To: MacBSD List <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/11/1998 17:40:17
Folks,

As I've indicated in a couple of private E-mails, I don't understand why
you're seeing the "illegal instruction" trap.  Basically, the code at
the point indicated on the stack trace (ie at _mrg_SExec()+c) is just a
couple of movl and moval instructions, which should work on any 680x0
CPU.  There's no reason that it would cause an illegal instruction, or
jump to some wierd pc which would then cause the trap.

I'm wondering if maybe the file is getting corrupted during the download
process.  It's unlikely, but possible.  So, if anyone tries out the
SLOTMAN kernel and gets an illegal instruction trap, please use the
debugger to check out the instruction stream:

	db> ex/i _mrg_SExec

will decode the beginning of the routine, and pressing <return> will
decode successive instructions.

Thanks for all your help!

| Paul Goyette      | Public Key fingerprint:    | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |