Subject: Re: Syquest Problem
To: henning loeser <loeser@ma1304.physik.uni-marburg.de>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/11/1998 08:24:29
henning loeser wrote:

> trying to install g77 on my mac I ran into the problem of having only
> insufficient diskspace available to build the whole darn thing toghether
> with gcc2.7.2.3 which it requires (total of more than 105MB).
> I attached my 105MB syquest to hold the sources and serve as compile
> directory but for some reason it seems to have problems when writing
> larger files. I get the following message:
> > dmaintr: discarded 32 b (last transfer was 2544 b).
> > esp0: !TC [intr 10, stat 87, step 4] prevphase 0, resid 9f0
> Does that mean that I should go out and by a better SCSI cable or that I
> should install a different driver on the disk? (Currently it's the HD-SC
> 7.5.3 Apple Patched HD-driver).

Actually, we don't use the Apple driver (or any other MacOS driver for
that matter), so using another shouldn't make a difference.  However, the
error you are seeing seems to be a possibly known bug in the esp driver.
I seem to remember Allen Briggs (briggs@macbsd.com) saying something about
the esp driver having some troubles with certain types of removable media.
Perhaps this is it.  I do believe he was working on a fix, tho.

Later.