Subject: increasing buffer cache
From: Sean Sweda <sweda@netcommandos.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/10/1998 17:52:51
I'm playing around with different kernels, trying to see what will
effect the performance of the SCSI driver.  In any case, I tried
increasing the number of buffers for the buffer cache, using these
options in the kernel config file

options         NBUF=512
options         BUFPAGES=512

While the number of buffers was increased, the amount of RAM dedicated
dedicated to the buffer cache did not increase.  A kernel using the
default number of buffers echos the following at boot:

real mem = 20971520
avail mem = 17027072
using 204 buffers containing 835584 bytes of memory

However, the kernel I compiled with 512 buffers echoed the following:

real mem = 20971520
avail mem = 17027072
using 512 buffers containing 835584 bytes of memory

I was too nervous to even use this kernel, so I'm back running the old
one.  Is there another kernel option I need to set, or is machdep.c
broken?

Sean

---
Sean Sweda