Subject: Re: more X and LC475
To: None <ost@farmersmanual.co.at>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/10/1998 09:24:35
ost wrote:
> i checked everything and seems ok.
>
> grf0 at intvid0 is there
> --------------
> ::This one is in the FAQ, but here it is again:
> ::
> ::startx >& startx.log
>
> done this already, this is the output:
>
> --
> Screen 0 at 0x41e5000, 640 by 480, rowB 1024, fbbase 0.
> X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
> --
> this just says that the server closed down, but no hints to for why?
> i thought one could maybe start it in some kind of verbose or debugging
> mode to see more of whats going on.
>
> using 1.3/mac68k/binary/sets/x*.tgz
> david, do you use the GENERIC kernel or a customized one ?
>
> i ve also got "twm" in my .xinitrc

Hmmm....is this machine a full '040 or an 'LC040-based machine?  (Not that
this seems to be the problem, but....)

I don't know of any really good ways to enable "verbose" mode on the
server, but you can use the "printf" method (well, okay, the "echo" method
in this case).  When you run X, you are actually using a number of shell
scripts.  The first is "startx".  So, make a copy of /usr/X11R6/bin/startx
and edit it to contain a few strategically placed lines like:

echo "managed to get this far"

although you might want to be more descriptive ;-)

Then next script that I can think of should be your .xinitrc, so you might
consider editing it to have similar lines.  If the trouble is in one of
these 2 files, it should show up rather quickly.  However, the trouble
could still be in xinit or more likely the X server itself....

Later.