Subject: Re: 2 button mouse question
To: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/09/1998 15:17:40
SamMaEl wrote:

[ difficulties with a 2-button supposedly extended mouse protocol mouse ]

> > If you don't have xev, one thing that always works in X is cut'n'paste.
> > So, to see if it's working at all:  select a block of text in an xterm
> > with the first mouse button (standard drag and hilite), then, place the
> > cursor in the xterm and press the second button.  If the previously
> > hilited text is pasted in, then you know you've got the "middle" mouse
> > button.  If that doesn't work, try starting a selection by clicking the
> > 1st button at the start of a block of text and then clicking the 2nd
> > button at the end of the block of text.  If it hilites, you know you've
> > got the "right" button.
>
> 	Nothing appears when the mouse is entirely still and I press the
> 2nd button.

I assume this is under xev?

> Cut and paste does not work either ;-) Call it a hunch, but I
> think that the 2nd button isn't doing anything atm...

Hmmmm....it sounds like it's not quite an extended mouse protocol mouse,
or else the emp support in the kernel is broken.  You might want to get a
copy of ADB Parser and try to figure out what kind of device handler it
uses under MacOS and what kind of ADB messages it is sending if not the
default EMP ones.  Without seeing the behavior of the mouse, it's kinda
hard to tell :-)

Later.