Subject: Re: 2 button mouse question
To: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/09/1998 14:52:03
SamMaEl wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Colin Wood wrote:
>
> > SamMaEl wrote:
> > >
> > > 	Well, now that I got ethernet working on my Q630, I am going to
> > > try to get the mouse I use for the system to work... it's a Macally
> > > 2-button mouse.
> > >
> > > adb: extended mouse <KOIT> 2-button 200 dpi mouse at 3
> > >
> > > 	In MacOS it uses a control panel to set the 2nd buttons
> > > function... defaults to a click-hold. Anyone know a somewhat simple way to
> > > figure out how to get the 2nd button working? It'd not as good as a 3
> > > button, but a 2nd button won't hurt ;-)
> >
> > If it really is an extended mouse, it should already work.  The second
> > button should "just work" under X.  What is it doing instead?
>
> 	Nothing... that I can tell. I've tried clicking it on the titlebar
> of an xterm to see if it will drag it if I move the mouse, but it
> doesn't... so it's not doing the click and hold. And, everything I've
> tried just makes me think it's not working at all. Is there any way to see
> what it is doing in NetBSD?

In order for it to do something, it needs to be bound to something,
usually by the window manager.  This might not be setup by default.

If you have xev (you should if you installed xcontrib), then just run xev
and put the cursor in the window which pops up.  Press the second mouse
button and see what that registers.

If you don't have xev, one thing that always works in X is cut'n'paste.
So, to see if it's working at all:  select a block of text in an xterm
with the first mouse button (standard drag and hilite), then, place the
cursor in the xterm and press the second button.  If the previously
hilited text is pasted in, then you know you've got the "middle" mouse
button.  If that doesn't work, try starting a selection by clicking the
1st button at the start of a block of text and then clicking the 2nd
button at the end of the block of text.  If it hilites, you know you've
got the "right" button.

> I know there are programs in MacOS that will
> let you see how it is communicating... If anyone needs it, I can post the
> control panel and extension it came with... maybe someone will be able to
> figure out how to get the 2nd button to work (I'm not much of a driver
> person yet ;-)) And, someone posted to me asking for a copy of the control
> panel, but I accidentally deleted the e-mail.... so if you still want it
> e-mail me again ;-)

We generally wipe out all of the MacOS stuff when we reset the ADB bus at
autoconfiguration time.  However, we do supported extended mice, so this
mouse _should_ be returning the second button correctly according to
protocol.

Later.