Subject: Re: 1.3 Kernel IIci
To: Will Enestvedt <will_e@ge.digipress.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/09/1998 11:44:29
On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Will Enestvedt wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> > Are you using a split-root-and-usr setup? /usr has to be mounted for the
> > terminal type to be resolvable.
> >
> Hi.
>    I have little of a techincal nature to add, other than that I was
> having *precisely* the same problem on a system where /usr was on another
> partition from the /root, and it never worked no matter what I did to try
> to mount /usr. I threw up my hands and reinstalled (actually, I
> re-formatted!) and things have been dandy since then.
>    If you're upgrading I guess you don't want to re-format, but it's most
> likely the source of your problem.

When you get booted in single-user mode, try "disklabel /dev/sdXc" where X
is the number for your main drive.

The default letter for secondary root partitions changed, so depending on
your exact setup, your /usr might have moved. All you'll need to do is
change /etc/fstab if this is the problem.

Take care,

Bill