Subject: Re: 1.3 Kernel IIci
To: Rick <stradfo@ibm.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/09/1998 09:41:31
On Sun, 8 Feb 1998, Rick wrote:

> I've followed the How-To instructions for upgrading to 1.3 and
> everything seemed to work just fine until I went into Multi-User mode,
> my machine seems to think that I have some sort of TTY device on one of
> my serial ports.  I cant't get it out of a loop saying "cant't exec
> getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port /dev/ttye0: no such file or
> directory".  I have built devices in the installer and even reloaded the

ttye0 is not a serial port. It's the internal video console.

It sounds to me like your /dev/ directory or /dev/ttye0 file has problems.

> kernel with no success.  I only wish to run the system as I did in the
> past from the existing monitor attached to the internal video of my mac
> IIci.
>
> In addition, I first had a problem with the "what Terminal" question
> thats asked at the end of booting, system would not accept the usual
> VT220, or anything else for that matter.  Has something been configured

Try either vt220 (lowercase) or vt100. I personally think the console is
much more of a vt100 than a vt220.

Are you using a split-root-and-usr setup? /usr has to be mounted for the
terminal type to be resolvable.

> in the 1.3 kernel that expects additional terminals on the serial ports,
>
> and if so, can it be eliminated or at least controlled via some change
> in the rc.conf file?, I've looked there and see some statement abt. stty
>
> in the very beginning but was afraid to comment it out.  I know that
> there is the mailing list and I have been on and off of it frequently.
> If there is an answer there, could you point me in the right direction
> .   Thank You  all for a really kewl system on my IIci, I
> constanly amaze my frinds when I tell them that this box is vintage but
> still has such power and usefullness with this O.S.

Sounds like there were problems with the install. Try booting single-user,
and then fsck'ing the root partition.

Take care,

Bill