Subject: Re: PPP-setup
To: Robert Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
From: Peter Corbett <corbett@mtn.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/08/1998 20:41:11
Hello

Bert Koster <aweka@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> I am working on a serial conection between my P5200 an BSDmachine.
> With a standard mac serialcable and a terminal emulation, it works
> quit nice...on the command prompt.
> But now I want to connect (serial) through PPP. I've already set it up
> on the BSD side, but I just can't figure out how to make PPP connect
> without a telefoon number in its phonenumberfield.
> I already took the Nullmodem entry, but you just can't push the
> connect button without a number in the phone field of PPP

I use FreePPP on the Mac end. All I do is leave the phone number field
blank, and click Yes when it asks me if I want to not enter a phone
number. Works great. I start ppp on the BSD end, using passive:

pppd tty00 38400 passive 204.72.214.123:204.72.214.124

This is a network of 2 machines, so IPs don't matter too much. I don't
think it matters if you specify a static IP in the TCP/IP control panel,
or FreePPP, but I do it just in case.

Peter Corbett
corbett@mtn.org