Subject: Re: word that isn't !h!e!l!p!: xntpd (2nd)
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Adrian Rollett <acrollet+@andrew.cmu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/06/1998 17:23:20
On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

> At 4:10 AM -0800 2/6/98, henning loeser wrote:
> >I fixed that and now Xntpd sycs to the server, loses sync , syncs again,
> >but after a while it stopps doing that. I guess it's when I start
> >xlockmore. (I start it with nice +19, hoping that this way it wouldn't
> >cause too much of a load if anything else needs computation time.) Does
>
> Unfortunately the nice value won't have much effect because the priorities
> in question are all inside the kernel interrupt handlers.  Sorry |-(
>
> Some things you can try:
>
> Delete the ntp drift file to start from scratch, like I said last time.

[snip]

> Finally you could just do what I'm told puma does and run ntpdate from cron.

Just a side note:

I tried that, and unless someone knows how to fix that problem, cron
mailed root every time it did it, which got to be tiresome for me. What I
ended up doing is writing a very quick perl script of the form

while(1)
{

system " /usr/sbin/ntpdate your.ntp.server.address ";
sleep 3000;

}

I'm not a programmer not a true unix God, I can't tell you if that's the
"best" solution, but it's one that has worked for me and given me a
minimum of headaches...

also it requires a direct internet connection
i like to redirect output into a file so it doesn't send messages to your
terminal...

cheers

\adrian*