Subject: Re: Proxy AARP? AT NAT?
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/05/1998 16:52:21
On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

> I know how to do proxy arp to fake out the local routers for IP traffic.
> You just make the right entries in the arp and route tables and everything
> works.
>
> Anyone know if you can do the same thing with AppleTalk traffic and
> Netatalk?  I want a way to make a single appletalk device on the ae0
> interface look like it's on the mc0 network.

Oh, if I were more of an AppleTalk hacker! I've thought about doing this
very thing, and I'd love to! Unfortunatly I don't know how to do it, and I
don't think you can at present.

> To be precise I have an HP printer with their network interface.  It's used
> both via AppleTalk and Berkeley lpd protocols.  I want (for stupid network
> charging reasons) to take it off the JPL network and connect it to,
> preferably, my MacBSD machine.  I would rather avoid the attention that
> acquiring an appletalk zone name/number would attract.  Any suggestions?

Hmmm. Two ideas.

One, hack on atalkd so that it won't broadcast routing table entries. Then
add your own atalk network on mc0, and make a little daemon that
advertizes itself as the printer. Whenever someone connects to the
"printer", the daemon connects to the real printer (on mc0), and bridges
between. Like a proxy printer.

Or, go w/ proxy IP arp and use the new LaserwriteIP driver (I think it's
out). It'll print to lpd queues on an IP address.

Take care,

Bill