Subject: Re: help: xntpd
To: henning loeser <loeser@ma1304.physik.uni-marburg.de>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/05/1998 11:28:22
At 3:08 AM -0800 2/5/98, henning loeser wrote:
>I have been trying to get xntpd up and running but I must be doing
>something wrong, as over night my mac lost 7 min. The xntpd is still
>running but it doesn't seem to sync the time.

What the other guy said ;-)

Also you should delete the ntp.drift file.  It contains a calibration value
for your specific machine so you can't use anyone else's.  Deleting it will
tell ntp to create a new one from scratch.  Once you get the other problem
fixed it won't matter in the long run, but it will make it take a lot
longer for your machine to settle down.  Expect the value in that file to
change continuously, but it should mostly settle down in a couple of days
(as long as the load on the system is constant).