Subject: Re: Lizcano Lawsuit against Apple
To: Justin R. Smith <jsmith@mcs.drexel.edu>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/05/1998 11:20:37
At 8:18 AM -0800 2/5/98, Chris wrote:
>I have a Quadra 605 with a LC040 chip too, and I questioned apple about
>the upgrade.  They didn't get back to me.  How can I test and see if I
>have a defective chip, and get a new one from apple?

I think the easiest test is to get SoftwareFPU and see if it works on your
machine.

>On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Justin R. Smith wrote:
>
>> I have a Performa 475 with a (defective) 68LC040  processor in it.  I filed
>> for an upgrade to a full 68040 in accordance with the Apple's settlement of

I think they are two different things.  The lawsuit about the P475 related
to some advertising that said it had a full '040.  I don't think the Q605
had the same advertising error (did it?).

Some intermediate-age 'LC040 chips have an acknowledged bug in the
interrupt generated for unimplemented floating point instructions.  If you
had bought the CPU chip directly from Motorola you would be entitled to a
free replacement (but not free installation).  However you bought it as
part of a system from Apple so your contract is with Apple, not Motorola.
Furthermore the bug does not appear in software running under MacOS (except
for Software FPU, which Apple doesn't support).  I think Apple has a
defensable argument that it is not a relevant defect for their systems, but
you can try.

Another approach is to contact Motorola and ask them to replace it.  The
question there is whether they will acknowledge you are a customer of
theirs, and whether they will say Apple is responsible for the problem.