Subject: Re: *exasperated sigh*
To: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/03/1998 15:00:00
SamMaEl wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Steve Quint wrote:
> >
> > What about `ls -ld /etc` and `ls -ld /` ?
>
> hobbes# ls -ld /etc
> dr--r--r--  13 root  wheel  2048 Feb  2 23:50 /etc/
> hobbes# ls -ld /
> drwxr-xr-x  20 root  wheel  1024 Feb  1 23:33 //
>
> 	I'm assuming these are right... they may not be. I'm cc'ing the
> list, because I remembered that I did use the installer program for the
> base.tgz and etc.tgz files. Then I installed my old /etc over that. I
> don't remember my logic for that, but at the time it sounded good ;-)
>
> 	I'm going to try re-installing everything again this weekend when
> I get some time... *sigh*

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

That's it.  You don't have permission to cd into /etc!!!!!

that should probably be:

drwxr-xr-x  13 root  wheel  2048 Feb  2 23:50 /etc/

instead.

Wow, what a weird sequence of errors to be occurring b/c of that.  Just do
a "chmod 755 /etc" as root, and all your problems _should_ go away.  Oh, I
guess you'll need to do this in single-user since you probably can't login
in multi-user...

Later.