Subject: Re: *exasperated sigh*
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/03/1998 03:28:39
On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Colin Wood wrote:

[log errors snipped]

> what does an "ls -l /etc/pwd.db" as root give you?

hobbes# ls -l *pwd.db
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  40960 Feb  2 23:34 pwd.db
-rw-------  1 root  wheel  40960 Feb  2 23:34 spwd.db
hobbes# ls -l *passwd
-rw-------  1 root  wheel  803 Feb  2 23:34 master.passwd
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  741 Feb  2 23:34 passwd

	Supposedly these are the correct permissions. I also have troubles
with the sendmail.cf file when I try to run newaliases.

hobbes# newaliases
/etc/sendmail.cf: line 0: cannot open: Permission denied
hobbes# Feb  2 23:43:11 hobbes sendmail[2617]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root):
/etc/sendm
ail.cf: line 0: cannot open: Permission denied

	This started even BEFORE I updated to 1.3 and then to 1.3B. BOTH
problems.

> > 	When I create a user-level account, things go fine... I'm using an
> > adduser script I found on the amiga archives. Until about a week ago I had
> > NEVER had a problem. I wrote about this problem earlier.... all of a
> > sudden none of my users could login properly. Login couldn't source their
> > shell's .rc files, they had no access to their home directories, and when
> > they did a 'whoami' or 'id' or 'ls -l' or anything showing a group or
> > username would NOT show the name, but the number. And one of the entries
> > as above would appear in the logs.
>
> my guess would be that the adduser script you are using is screwing things
> up.  i'd go back to adding users by hand.

	I've gone over the script with a fine tuned comb... it's just a
simple perl script, and it's not doing anything wrong. It has worked fine
for me for the past 8 months, or whenever I first installed 1.2 on my IIsi
;-)

> what does your /etc/passwd look like?  does it look the same as
> /etc/master.passwd except for the lack of encrypted passwords?

hobbes# cat /etc/passwd
root:*:0:0:Charlie &,,,:/root:/bin/csh
toor:*:0:0:Bourne-again Superuser:/root:/bin/sh
daemon:*:1:31:The devil himself:/:/sbin/nologin
operator:*:2:20:System &:/usr/guest/operator:/bin/csh
bin:*:3:7:Binaries Commands and Source:/:/sbin/nologin
news:*:6:8:Network News:/var/spool/news:/sbin/nologin
games:*:7:13:Games pseudo-user:/usr/games:/sbin/nologin
uucp:*:66:1:UNIX-to-UNIX
Copy:/var/spool/uucppublic:/usr/libexec/uucp/uucico
nobody:*:32767:9999:Unprivileged user:/nonexistent:/sbin/nologin
ingres:*:267:74:& Group:/usr/ingres:/sbin/nologin
falken:*:32766:31:Prof. Stephen &:/usr/games:/usr/games/wargames
sammael:*:1001:1001:SamMaEl,,,:/home/sammael:/bin/csh
steph:*:1002:1002:Steph,,,:/home/steph:/bin/csh

	I've also tried removing the commas in the name field, where the
phone numbers and location go, but that does nothing either. (this is
wrapped to 80 columns... and of course no passwords ;-))

> > 	All I have modified so far was installed the X stuff, and a few
> > other programs (pine, lynx, top, hfsutils, apache, perl5 and dt) and
> > installed the kernel sources tarball. I just now used adduser to add my
> > user account, and when I logged in it couldn't find /home/sammael. So, I
> > looked in /home and sammael/ was there. I did a ls -l and instead of my
> > login name 'sammael' showing up in the uid bit, my uid number 1001 did.
> > And, I got the same error message in the logs as before. 8-(
> >
> > 	THanks in advance for any advice or suggestions... I'm COMPLETELY
> > stumped on this one. Unless there is some weird bug involving files in
> > /etc, like the name server or PPP files, I have NO idea what this could
> > be. I even wiped the partition with Mkfs before re-installing.
>
> if i were you, i'd wipe /etc/master.passwd and /etc/passwd, as well as
> their .db files, and then reinstall them from the etc.tgz set.  then read
> adduser(8) and add users by hand.

	Like I did before, this was one of the first things I tried, and
it didn't work 8-( Same error. But, I used tar --unlink -xvzf <filename>
when I unpacked the tarballs... no -p option as Dave Huang advised an
e-mail or two ago (figure I'd reply once ;-))... so that may be a part of
the problem. When I get a chance I will re-install with --unlink -xvzpf.

	Thanks,

	Ryan

-----
HELO... my name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!