Subject: Re: Ethernet card for IIsi?
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@lethargy.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/02/1998 19:05:45
> > I'd like to get an ethernet card for my IIsi equipted with the
> > Macintosh IIsi NuBus Adapter Card.
>
> Hi... If I remember correctly, the IIsi uses the same cards as the SE/30.
> When I was searching for a card, the only place I could find one was "Data
> Comm Warehouse." They listed two, but one was out of stock and would have
> taken a month to arrive. The other is, I believe, product number DEC1081,
> although this should be double-checked.
>
> The problem is that the card is obscenely expensive. They want something
> like $140 or $150 for the thing, which is about as much as the machines
> that use it are worth by themselves. I couldn't find any better prices,
> and I couldn't find any used cards, so I did something completely different
> - I traded some old equipment for an Intel box with an EtherNet card. It
> ended up being cheaper that way! I still want to get a card for the SE/30,
> but the pressure is essentially off now.

You might seriously want to check out www.ebay.com for cheap ethernet
cards people are selling. they go for around $20. the reasons retail
dealers (even mail-order ones) sell the products at such an inflated price
is because the cards are no longer manufactured (keep in mind that NuBus
is essentially old technology nowadays) or are manuactured in such little
quantities that the supply/demand for the company forces them to sell them
at an inflated rate. that's if you want to buy a brand-spanking-new one.
Usually buying a used one poses no problem, unless the owner was
dishonest about it's state of operation, but even if that happened a few
times (highly unlikely) the card would be significantly cheaper than a
brand new one.

you might also want to check out www.onsale.com. their mac section is
limited though. ebay's is much bigger.

<shrug> it's just another option.