Subject: Re: Ethernet card for IIsi?
To: Wyatt Bertel <bertel@math.UCDavis.edu>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/02/1998 13:24:47
On Mon, Feb 02, 1998 at 12:27:02AM -0800, Wyatt Bertel wrote:

> I'd like to get an ethernet card for my IIsi equipted with the
> Macintosh IIsi NuBus Adapter Card.

Hi... If I remember correctly, the IIsi uses the same cards as the SE/30.
When I was searching for a card, the only place I could find one was "Data
Comm Warehouse." They listed two, but one was out of stock and would have
taken a month to arrive. The other is, I believe, product number DEC1081,
although this should be double-checked.

The problem is that the card is obscenely expensive. They want something
like $140 or $150 for the thing, which is about as much as the machines
that use it are worth by themselves. I couldn't find any better prices,
and I couldn't find any used cards, so I did something completely different
- I traded some old equipment for an Intel box with an EtherNet card. It
ended up being cheaper that way! I still want to get a card for the SE/30,
but the pressure is essentially off now.

So. If you want to call Data Comm Warehouse and pay through the nose for
a card, the number is (800) 328-2261. On the plus side, in my searching I
*did* hear from someone who used that exact ethernet card in his SE/30,
and evidently it worked fine with NetBSD, so I guess there's not as much
risk there.

Good luck!

--
Mason Loring Bliss...mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us...www.webtrek.com/mason
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments