Subject: *exasperated sigh*
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/02/1998 04:12:49
	Well, after totally wiping my root partition and reinstalling 1.3B
over that, I guess something is wrong... because I am STILL getting the
SAME error.

</var/log/messages extract>

hobbes ls: /etc/pwd.db: Permission denied
hobbes id: /etc/pwd.db: Permission denied
hobbes id: /etc/pwd.db: Permission denied

<end log>

	When I create a user-level account, things go fine... I'm using an
adduser script I found on the amiga archives. Until about a week ago I had
NEVER had a problem. I wrote about this problem earlier.... all of a
sudden none of my users could login properly. Login couldn't source their
shell's .rc files, they had no access to their home directories, and when
they did a 'whoami' or 'id' or 'ls -l' or anything showing a group or
username would NOT show the name, but the number. And one of the entries
as above would appear in the logs.

	It's not a SUPER big deal... it's basically a private system, but
I like to use a user-level account most of the time, so I don't
accidentally screw something up ;-) I can try re-installing my /etc files.
I did that at first bootup, but some of the files may have gotten written
over. But, the master.passwd and the .db files were all 'stock 1.3B' as
they came. The only things that I kept were my networking setup files, and
anything NOT in the etc.tgz file. But, I would appreciate any hints as to
what may be the problem.

	All I have modified so far was installed the X stuff, and a few
other programs (pine, lynx, top, hfsutils, apache, perl5 and dt) and
installed the kernel sources tarball. I just now used adduser to add my
user account, and when I logged in it couldn't find /home/sammael. So, I
looked in /home and sammael/ was there. I did a ls -l and instead of my
login name 'sammael' showing up in the uid bit, my uid number 1001 did.
And, I got the same error message in the logs as before. 8-(

	THanks in advance for any advice or suggestions... I'm COMPLETELY
stumped on this one. Unless there is some weird bug involving files in
/etc, like the name server or PPP files, I have NO idea what this could
be. I even wiped the partition with Mkfs before re-installing.

	Ryan

-----
HELO... my name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!