Subject: Re: HWDIRECT kernels
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/01/1998 23:04:39
On Sun, 1 Feb 1998, Colin Wood wrote:

> Can you build your own kernels?  It's pretty easy to compile your own.

	Yeah, except for the fact that I don't have a machine to compile
on until I get my new Q900 setup how I want it, so I can make my Q630 a
full-time NetBSD machine. And, I'm in installation limbo right now...
trying to get the remains of some things I want to save so I can just wipe
my IIcx's drive and do a full partition/installation/house-cleaning job.
Luckily most of the stuff I really have worked with have been in /etc and
/usr/local so I just had to archive some stuff and FTP it to other
machines ;-)

> I've submitted a patch for this problem to Scott.  Hopefully it'll make
> the 1.3.1 patch release.  As for other problems with the IIcx, there
> aren't any that I know of other than the random hang on shutdown/reboot
> that appears to be related to kernel size (oh, and the fact that it
> probably won't boot without a mouse and keyboard attached, but that's
> another symptom of the extended keyboard difficulty).

	Sounds good. I've experienced that shutdown hang before... wasn't
one fix to compile a new kernel and change some of the configs to change
the kernel size? Is there an other known fix for this? Eventually I would
like to get the machine running headless (since the monitor I have it
running with is on loan ;-))

	Ryan

-----
HELO... my name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!