Subject: Re: HWDIRECT kernels
To: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/01/1998 22:53:39
SamMaEl wrote:

> 	I'm trying to resurrect my IIcx for another NetBSD machine, but
> the only HWDIRECT kernels I can find are on puma, which is currently stuck
> at 385 bytes/sec in my download... about halfway done, and has taken about
> an hour so far 8-(
>
> 	Is there a problem with puma,

Not that I know of, but occasionally the 'net can be a little slow
depending on traffic.  You could try breaking and restarting your
connection.  That actually helps sometimes.

> and if so is there any other place
> to get a precompiled HWDIRECT kernel?

Not that I know of at the moment.  Perhaps when Steve gets an account on
ftp.netbsd.org again...

> I have a disk with NetBSD 1.3_BETA
> already on it... just need a kernel that will boot with my IIcx. 8-(
> Actually, I think I have an old non Extended keyboard... I seem to
> remember that the ADB hang (and yes... the ADB hangs quite nicely ;-)) is
> only for machines with an extended keyboard (which mine is) Also, are
> there any other known problems for the IIcx? Beyond the dirty ROMs...

Can you build your own kernels?  It's pretty easy to compile your own.

I've submitted a patch for this problem to Scott.  Hopefully it'll make
the 1.3.1 patch release.  As for other problems with the IIcx, there
aren't any that I know of other than the random hang on shutdown/reboot
that appears to be related to kernel size (oh, and the fact that it
probably won't boot without a mouse and keyboard attached, but that's
another symptom of the extended keyboard difficulty).

I hope this helps.

later.