Subject: HELP! (Networking)
To: None <port-mac68K@routbort.neuro.duke.edu>
From: Richard UNGER <runger@cs.mcgill.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/01/1998 17:27:47
Alright, I installed NetBSD (GENERIC #56) 1.3 on my Quadra 700, and am
now trying to get my networking up and running.
I have the built in ethernet (sn0) and an Asante MacCon-i NBTP (ae0).
I want ae0 to be hooked up to my local LAN (a few macs and PCs, all on a
8port dumb hub). I want sn0 to connect everything up to the internet via
my cable-modem.

I have a few problems:
1) dhclient 'zaps' my setup for ae0. I have a ifconfig.ae0 file, and
netstart configures it correctly on boot-up. When I run dhclient from
netstart.local it always 'zeroes' my config for ae0. The man page for
dhclient claims if I invoke 'dhclient <if-name>' it will only configure
the interface specified with dhcp.
2) If I manually reconfigure the ae0 interface after boot-up to set it
back to the LAN, I can then ping the local machines, and they can ping
me. However, ipnat is DREADFULLY slow, like a few bytes per second. My
ipnat.conf file has the following lines:
map sn0 192.168.1.0/24 -> 0/32 portmap tcp/udp 40000:60000
map sn0 192.168.1.0/24 -> 0/32
Is this right? Why is ipnat so slow? Should I be setting up ipf to do
some blocking as well?
3) My ifconfig -a lists the ae0 media type as 'manual'. Is this good? I
tried setting it to 10BaseT/UTP but it wouldn't let me.
4) What's the trick? Setup seems so intuitive generally, why does the
ipnat and the dhclient not work as expected? What's a realistic speed I
could expect?

Thanks for your help,

Richie,
(a BSDmac68k newbie)