Subject: Re: HFS+ and 68k machines
To: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
From: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/01/1998 18:56:03
On Feb 1,  8:29pm, "David A. Gatwood" wrote:
>Out of curiosity, why is this?  (Not that it mattersto me, as the only 68k
>macs I have access to are 030's and won't run 8.1 anyway, but I'm still
>curious.  :-)

I've read every 8.1 and HFS+ -related post in the Mac newsgroups, and have
not seen an answer as to why a 68k system cannot boot from a HFS+ volume.
They do put a wrapper around it so that if one boots from a system < 8.1,
all they'll see is a file with a message explaining that you need 8.1 to
use the volume.  Maybe it's something about that wrapper that messes up 68k?

~Steve

--
Steve Allen - wormey@eskimo.com   http://www.eskimo.com/~wormey/   ICQ 6709819

	-Kyle Hearn  <kyle@intex.net>

The chief cause of problems is solutions.