Subject: Re: HFS+ and 68k machines
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/01/1998 18:37:55
On Feb 1,  6:04pm, Colin Wood wrote:
>In regards to Steve's and Nigels recent posts (that I deleted 5 seconds
>before remembering this), there is a known problem with booting 68k
>machines off of an HFS+ disk (i.e. it doesn't work, nor will it ever
>work).  So, it's conceivable that this is in some way related.....although
>I've got to admit, I don't know what MacOS is doing at the time the Booter
>tries to shut it down, so maybe not (and I really don't know why it would
>have problems when it's not booting off the volume which has the HFS+
>partitions).

What I've seen indicates that your boot partition cannot be HFS+.  I've
seen nothing definite about other partitions being HFS+, but there seems
to be some consensus that it should work (else I wouldn't have tried it ;-).

In essence what I did is:
  copied all partitions onto CDROMs
  reformatted with 8.1 Apple Disk utility, making two HFS partitions
  converted the second partition to HFS+ with PlusMaker/PlusMaximizer
  copied the CDROMs back to the disk

The system will boot from this disk, though the System Folder doesn't
have the 'blessed' icon on it.  After I get the next snapshot out, I'll
do a clean install so I have a proper system, and see if that works
better.

~Steve

--
Steve Allen - wormey@eskimo.com   http://www.eskimo.com/~wormey/   ICQ 6709819

	-Kyle Hearn  <kyle@intex.net>

President Thieu says he'll quit if he doesn't get more than 50% of the
vote.  In a democracy, that's not called quitting.
		-- The Washington Post