Subject: Re: Daystar Accelerator Works!
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/01/1998 15:40:22
> > This is very exciting! I can actually build kernels within the span of a
> > human lifetime now :) (The 16 megs of RAM also helped :-)
>
> How long's it take? I recently put together a cheap 40mHz 486 system, and
> it still takes me almost five hours to build a small kernel. (It only has
> eight megs of RAM, though - that probably DOESN'T help!)

Time reported that a full compile from scratch (make depend, make) took
about an hour and 40 minutes. That's with 20 megs of RAM.

The disk thrashing is what's killing you. My IIvx with just it's 030 could
build a kernel in 5 hours with 20 megs of RAM (If I remember right). With
8 megs is was more of a 12 hour project :-)

However, while I'm developing kernel stuff I don't usually have to do a
full recompile. I just need to compile a couple of updated files. That's
where the real speed benefit comes in.