Subject: Re: Question on receiving mail...
To: None <paul@whooppee.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/24/1997 10:13:07
On Fri, 21 Nov 1997 05:08:03 -0800 (PST),
Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com> wrote:
> In your /etc/rc.conf have you enabled sendmail?  This is the program that
> has to be running to accept incoming SMTP connections.
>
> On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Chris Jewell wrote:
>
> > I have set up my IIci with MacBSD and I installed PINE as my e-mail client.
> > I am running my IIci on a network at work which is behind a firewall.  I
> > am able to send mail out to the internet but I cannot receive mail from it.
> > I have tried sending mail to my MacBSD from other servers but it never
> > arrives (both mail from in and outside of the firewall).  I also, do not
> > get a message from the mail daemon, on the other servers, complaining that
> > it could not deliver the mail.  How do I set up MacBSD to receive mail from
> > inside and outside of the firewall?

He's behind a firewall, so it may not be enough just to enable
sendmail on his Mac.  If the outside world is to connect directly to
his Mac, the FW has to allow the outside world connection to go
through it, or it has to act as a kind of proxy.  I doubt any network
admin would be willing to allow this.

More likely is that his Mac has a private IP address so that the rest
of the Net simply can't address his Mac at all.  In this case, there
has to be a designated MX (mail exchange) host which is reachable from
the rest of the Net.  The MX host has to be configured first to
receive mail from the outside world then to forward it to his Mac.

Much simpler would be simply to store all mail on the MX and retrieve
it from the Mac by a POP or IMAP client.

How does that sound?

Ken