Subject: Re: Stupid question
To: Colin Wood <paul@whooppee.com>
From: Rodney M. Hopkins <rhopkins@sunflower.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/16/1997 21:57:15
At 07:18 PM 11/16/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Try reading the rm(1) man page :-)
>
>If you simple want to remove it, try:
>
>rm -- -axl

Kick butt!  This worked like I charm!

>the -- tells rm that all the following arguments are file names, not
>options.  I think that there are similar facilities in other programs in
>case you wanted to do something other than remove the file.

I knew there was such a facility in UN*X but I couldn't for the life of me
remember it.  I was trying /- and \- and '- and all kinds of other stuff,
but never got to the --.  Of course, as you mention, if one reads the man
page and remembers one's regular expression notation, the answer is in the
rm(1) man page.  But, like many of my experiences with UN*X man pages, the
answer is not explicitly spelled out and so you often only realize that the
man page does answer your question after you've gotten help from other
sources.

Thanks again!

Rodney Hopkins
rhopkins@sunflower.com