Subject: Re: Simple one
To: None <donadio@pobox.com>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/31/1997 02:38:02
> PC. Well... I wanna change the colours of the screen. I want a black
> screen
> with white text. It's better for me. How can I do that?

Grab a copy of the program "dt". It is a replacement for the console
that you can compile to do white text on a black background. It also
has many other nice features such as multiple consoles, mouse cut
and paste, and scroll-back. You can pick it up by rooting around on
ftp.macbsd.com.

> Another question. What's the best kernel to use on a IIsi? Does it support
> color X?

The IIsi has been supported for a while so you can use nearly any kernel.

As far as color X, it depends. If you're using a NuBus video card then
you try out the SLOTMAN kernels which have color NuBus video card
support in them.

If you want color X using motherboard video (intvid) then you'll have
to wait for a little bit. I'm working on intvid but I'm not ready
for any code releases yet (I'm still testing and debugging). The
IIsi should be amongst the first machines that will have color
internal video. So please be patient.

You'll also need an X server that supports color. You can pick that
up from macbsd.com as well though that server and it's accompanying
binary package are outdated. We are currently moving to an
XFree86 server but the color code hasn't been added to that yet
so it might be better to run the B&W version of that until the
X server gets updated to color.

> I have the 1.2.1 packages and I'm too lazy (and I don't have the
> money to pay the phone bill) to download the current packages. Is there a
> big
> difference between 1.2.1 and 1.3? Or is it just the kernel?

There is a *huge* difference besides just the "kernel" between 1.2 and 1.3.
MacBSD is still an evolving entity and we add support for more hardware
almost on a daily basis so getting the latest stuff is good. However, to
use the latest kernel you need the latest binary packages so I'm afraid
you're going to have to spend the extra pennies to do that.