Subject: Re: Headless IIcI, MI/X,su,printing
To: archer <archer@pacific.net.ph>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/26/1997 13:30:25
> >Headless
> Since my last S.O.S. I've been able to get X up and running on the IIcI,
> established an ethernet connection between the PPC and IIcI using Telnet
> :-)  Thanks!.  I am still having difficulty getting MI/X client on the
> PPC to talk to X on the IIcI.  I've been doing an ifconfig ae0 inet
> 132.199.15.50 for the IIcI and  51 for the PPC in Telnet than I go to
> MI/X and configure the preferences for 50 as the host, oh yeah!, started
> X on the IIcI!. I've tried a setenv DISPLAY 132.199.15.51:0.0 from X on
> the IIcI and even the reverse from the PPC in Telnet but I am not the
> same user (not root) on the PPC, just a "regular" user, is this part of
> the problem?.

I'm confused here. One thing is that AFAIK, MI/X is not an X client, it
is an X server. It SERVES you up windows. The programs, which'd run
on the IIci and display in a window on the server, are clients.

So what happens if you telnet in from the PPC, setenv DISPLAY Blah,
and then type xterm
?? Any error messages? If this step works, it's a question of setting
up MI/X. If not, you have an X setup problem on the IIci.

> I know this next question is probably somewhere in the FAQ but it eludes
> me, : Is it possible for me to run as root or superuser from the PPC over
> Telnet?, I can log in as a regular user which I created by modifying the
> passwd file but logging in as su or root is not possible.  This system
> will not be connected to the I-Net and I only want to run the IIci
> headless from the PPC. What is the default password for su after a fresh
> install?, I have always logged in as root but get that message abt doing
> it as su.

You should log in as yourself and then su to root as a matter of principle.

The su problem is that you're not in the group "wheel." The su manpage says:

     Only users in group 0 (normally ``wheel'') can su to ``root'', unless
     group 0 does not exist or has no members.  (If you want nobody to be able
     to su to ``root'', make ``root'' the only member of group ``wheel'',
     which is the default.)

> One more..  I have a Personal Laserwriter Printer, non-postscript, where
> can I find any info on printing?, I have read the FAQ which has some info
> for the Stylewriter but have seen nothing abt printing from my
> Lasrwriter, is it possible, what device is it? I can talk to the modem
> port but know nothing abt talking to a printer.  Thanks to all, really
> enjoying this stuff!

Bob and I fussed with this a little about a year ago, but I'm not sure if we
got anywhere. The new serial driver (and actually, the old one too) should
be able to talk to the thing if you set up an external clock correctly.
The printer feeds clock signals to the computer to permit a faster data
transfer.

Take care,

Bill